PipelineDeals Help Center
Personalize your PipelineDeals account with custom fields specific to your business. Company, Deal, and People level custom fields allow you to track data specific to your industry, company, process, or personal workflow.
Company Custom Fields: Create custom fields to track industry, size, revenue, or other special attributes for the companies and accounts with whom you do business.
Deal Custom Fields: Create custom fields to track product interest, additional sales and forecast numbers, or sales process fields related to your business opportunities.
Person Custom Fields: Create custom fields to track special attributes for your relationships like a date field for birthdays, a pick-list of hobbies, or other personalized information.
Managing Custom Fields
Admins can set up custom fields in Account Settings > Custom Fields. To add a Custom Field, click on the appropriate tab for the type of custom field you wish to make (Company, Deal or Person), then click +New (company/deal/person) field and choose the Custom Field type you want to create.
By default, all of your custom fields will be ungrouped and listed on the right. You can choose to set up custom field groups for better organization of your custom fields, which you can navigate through on the left to review the fields in those groups.
To edit or delete an existing custom field, mouse over the name of the field and select either the edit icon, which looks like a pencil and paper, or the delete icon, which looks like a trash can.
Creating a New Custom Field
From the tab for the category you wish to create a custom field for, click on the
+New (company/deal/person) field. If you are in a custom field group when you click on this button, the new field will automatically be added to From there, you can create a custom field of the type best suited to the data you wish to track:
- Number field: Stores numerical characters only. This is ideal for items such as number of locations, number of employees, etc. The only characters aside from numbers that will save are a leading "-" to indicate a number is negative (such as "-50") and a single decimal point (such as "3.14"). For anything that requires other characters, including parentheses and hyphens in the middle of numbers, you'll want to use a text field. You can choose to have this amount totaled on any reports that include this field.
- Text field: Stores any character. This is a great field for anything from names to addresses, text based descriptions, or any other information you'd like to be able to enter free-form. The downside to this is that it can be harder to filter by this column as you must match the data as it is entered in the field in order to have it match. For example, if you type "Product 1" but the item as entered as "Product One", they won't match up.
- Currency field: For any money-based number. Automatically populates with the currency symbol used on the account, so entering that is not necessary. Negative values are allowed. As with the number field, you can choose to have this amount totaled on any reports that include this field.
- Dropdown field: Creates a list of limited selections from which you can only pick one. This works great for things like region or industry, where there are limited options. Makes filtering very easy, as you can just check the box next to the selections you wish to see.
- Picklist field: Like a dropdown, but it allows you to select more than one option from the list. This is ideal for things like product interest, trade shows regularly attended, things like that. Like with dropdowns, it's very easy to filter by.
- Date field: Allows you to select from a calendar interface a specific date which includes day, month, and year. Great for things like founding date, birthdate, etc.
- Single association field: Allows you to directly link to one company in your PipelineDeals system. This is great for tracking things like Parent Company.
- Multiple association field: Allows you to link to multiple companies in your PipelineDeals system. Use this to track subsidiaries, franchises, or branch locations.
Custom Field Groups
Organize and segment your custom fields based on your specific needs by setting up custom field groups.
Navigate to the appropriate tab (Company, Deal, or Person custom fields) for the custom field group you wish to set up and click on the “Manage custom field groups” link.
From here, you can add new custom field groups (1), or mouse over the name of an existing group to make changes to an existing group. Click on the edit icon to edit the name of the group (2) or the delete icon to delete it (3). Changes are saved automatically, so just click the “Close” button when done.
A group can be picked for a custom field either at creation or when editing a custom field by using the “Group” dropdown menu to select the group you want this field in. You can learn more about how Custom Field Groups work in our Custom Field Groups FAQ.
NOTE: When you first set up a custom field group, the new group and the fields within it will appear at the bottom of the appropriate type of profile page (company, deal, or person profile). You can expand these groups by clicking the “^” icon next to the name of the group you wish to expand, and you can move it up the page by clicking in the grey top bar of the group box and dragging and dropping it to the position you like. These changes will be saved across all profiles of the same type, so you only need to make this adjustment once!
You can reorder fields within groups by dragging and dropping fields into the order in which you wish for them to appear. Note that this only affects the order in which fields appear on profile pages. To change the order in which things appear on Add/Edit Forms, you’ll want to set up those forms from your Account Settings page.